Saturday, October 10, 2009

Get Packing

Another year, we decided to go to the most magical place in the world, Disney World. It’s true, it is magical. It’s also true that it is not a vacation for parents.


I woke up at 3:50 a.m. the day we left to finish packing for our trip. My husband, appalled at the amount of stuff we were bringing for our eight day trip, actually requested I downsize my cosmetics. Okay, I’m up for a challenge and I did want peace before we started our 18-hour car journey.

What to eliminate? Sunscreen? Need that—it is Florida. Make-up? Maybe I don’t need three different eyeliners. Shampoo? I looked longingly at my bottle of shampoo for color-treated hair (the one I scrape the price tag off with my fingernail so my husband won’t see how much it is) and the little travel bottle that I could transfer some of the liquid into. But this shampoo smells really good. I couldn’t bear to think of diminishing this glorious liquid to a two ounce bottle. What if I ran out while on vacation? What if there wasn’t another beauty supply store near Disney where I could refresh my supply at twice the price of my original bottle? How would I wash my natural auburn hair which I pay for with a substantial fraction of my paycheck to have? What if I had to resort to using my husband’s shampoo that he brags about only spending 59 cents for? Would my color come out? Would I have to get re-colored while on vacation by a total stranger hairdresser and miss out on valuable time screaming along with my kids on Space Mountain? Oh, the thought! No, I’ll sneak the shampoo into the bag while he isn’t looking. It really is best for the family.

The end of the long drive was almost over so I excitedly told the boys to look for signs to Disney World on Route 4. While my husband and I anxiously scanned the road for a glimmer of hope that the resort would be approaching and we could relieve ourselves of the many cups of coffee and bottles of water, I noticed an extreme quiet in the car. I glanced back and saw that both boys were sound asleep.


For more stories, check out the rest of the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment